Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical leadership to roll up their sleeves and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs.
As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our world-class software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
With extensive technical and leadership expertise, you manage engineers across multiple teams and locations, a large product budget and oversee the deployment of large-scale projects across multiple sites internationally.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to tackle some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Manage a team of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects
- Work closely with product management team to ensure we're building the best products.
- Contribute technically to projects.
- BS, MS degree or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Programming experience in two or more of the following: Java, C++ and Python.
- Strong foundation in computer science, with experience in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Relevant technical management experience (managing teams of 5 or more).
- Software background and deep mobile experience. Internet, video, and streaming experience.
- Extensive experience designing and implementing large-scale distributed systems.
- Extensive knowledge of Unix/Linux or Windows environments.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills.