Based in Cambridge as the Software Engineering Director for ARM's platforms, you will be managing a team of software engineers to focus on full solution software stacks for embedded, mobile, enterprise and networking segments.
You will be working with a team of software engineers based in Cambridge (UK), Budapest, Bangalore, Shanghai and Austin (US) to deliver new ARM technology into existing and emerging markets. You will also be directly involved with partner engagements, with the wider open source communities and with Linaro. You will work to deliver against an ever evolving roadmap generated from partner requests and market segment feedback. The majority of your time will be spent focusing on the operational management of your team in collaboration with the existing technical and project management; ensuring the teams run smoothly and providing regular communication with stakeholders and the wider group.
Job Purpose & Accountabilities
The Platform Software Engineering Director will be a member of the Business Segment Group. You will be responsible for managing a growing software engineering team which delivers reference software stacks used to validate the ARM hardware solutions and provided as example implementations to ARM's partners.
- Management of a large team of engineers located across various sites within the ARM guidelines for talent recognition and talent development.
- Travel (up to 25% of time) to engage with remote teams and partners as required.
- Lead the recruitment process to grow the team.
- Ensure the teams are working to the product management and technical goals set.
- Ensure the teams are adhering to ARMs software development processes and policies.
- Communication and resolution of engineering, project and team issues.
- Work with various administrative functions to ensure smooth operation of the team.
- Identify and implement areas for improvements in the team organisation and methods.
- Collaborate with the other Software Engineering Directors to optimise use of staff and resources.
- Manage external dependencies and collaborations to achieve ARM's goals
As a leader in the extended Software Development group you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support ARM's cutting edge IP, as well as helping ARM grow its role in new market segments.
A successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Proven track record in leading a large team of software engineers and delivering multiple large software projects on time and with high quality
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working with multiple sites and cultures
- Working knowledge of modern software development practices including agile and hybrid agile environments
- Appreciation of the challenges of working within open source communities
- Enthusiastic and open-minded with the ability to motivate and inspire engineers
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken, are essential
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience in engineering management of multi-site teams
- High level understanding of the Embedded/IoT, Mobile, Enterprise Server and Networking segment software
- Proven track record of working with open source communities
- Software Development or Validation engineering experience
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Others, cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events