Cosworth are looking to recruit a Validation Engineer to interpret test methods and test plans required for defining and validating our products within the automotive and motorsport sector.
The ideal candidate will enjoy hands on work in a very dynamic setting and have previous automotive industry and testing experience.
You’ll work closely with and provide training to the Test Lab Technicians/Specialists, and interface with Test Equipment Engineers, Design Engineers and Quality Engineers to ensure the performance specification and product are understood. This position is a mix of mechanical, electrical and software engineering so an ability to learn new methods and skills is a must!
While the primary focus of this role is testing and testing methods, you may be called on to support test quoting, test equipment maintenance and calibration, capital requisition, and test fixture development, build and verification.
- Develop procedures, methods and tools for test, verification and certification of products
- Develop procedures and tools for testing, calibration and verification of test equipment, cooperating with Test Engineers and Outside Engineering as required.
- Review and interpret Customer Requirements and develop DV and PV test plans.
- Meet with customers, as required, to develop and get approval of test plans.
- Participate in Fixture/Equipment Design Review, or as appropriate, lead the test fixture design, procurement, construction & verification.
- Develop and maintain Timing Plans and open items lists for Test System projects in order to meet project timing requirements.
- Participate / support quote activities by coordinating / developing work plans and cost estimates for Test Systems and Testing, as appropriate.
- Ensure test equipment is properly calibrated and certified according to the corresponding procedures.
- Monitor Testing; Perform various product validation testing.
- Create, Review, Modify & Approve Test Reports.
- Record test results in the customers data storage system.
- Assist and train the Test Lab Technicians, when required, in troubleshooting and repairing returned products from the customers.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis of testing failures
- Participate in Customer and Team Meetings
- Participate in product design reviews
Skills, Qualifications & Attributes:
You’ll definitely need a Bachelor’s degree (BEng/BSc/BA) in Engineering or Science; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To compliment this we’re looking for:
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in testing electronic boards, modules and test equipment
- Solid knowledge in electronics; analog, power and digital
- Experience in developing test instructions and procedures
- Excellent analytical reasoning and problem solving skills with ability to apply it to unusual or difficult problems
- You’ll need to be very well organized, able to work well with a diverse cross-functional team and varying personalities/cultures
- Able to read engineering drawings, specifications, and other complex technical documents.
- Able to be a self-starter and willing to perform a wide range of engineering duties
- Effective oral and written communication and English language skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures.
- Ability to write reports, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Engineering Team and Customers
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Ability to effectively represent information and respond to questions in a meeting
Desirable knowledge/skills include:
- Master's degree (MEng/MS/MA) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous product engineering experience
- 3D modeling experience (as required, for fixture design and construction)
- Previous project leadership experience
- Knowledge of Quality Control principles and methodology
- Experience with customers
- Previous experience in a test laboratory
- Automotive experience