We are looking for an experienced data scientist with deep expertise in NLP and related technology to join our growing team.
We are looking for an experienced data scientist with deep expertise in NLP and related technology to join our growing team. We all know that artificial intelligence, predictive analytics, machine learning, visualisation and big data processing techniques will change most industries if not turn them upside down.
At the Digital Catapult our job is to help the UK’s best ideas from startups and university research to grow into large-scale companies - our challenge is to make a difference at a national scale. We are focused on four technology layers: connected, data driven, immersive and intelligent. Within the intelligent layer we are particularly focused on innovation in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. We work on projects which will enable future markets, next generation techniques and cutting edge of R&D. You will work alongside a varied team, collaborating with startups, corporates, universities and government agencies.
About the Digital Catapult
The data scientist role is based at the spectacular Digital Catapult Centre in King’s Cross, London, recently voted one of the coolest places to work. The network of Catapult centres has core funding from the UK government. Each Catapult represents an area of huge disruptive opportunity with UK strengths in research and startup activity. Digital Catapult helps startups grow and scale faster and it helps larger corporates in their digital transformation, aiming to match the government funding with further commercial revenue and R&D grants. We do this through programmes of collaboration and open innovation, by bringing academic leading edge expertise into the mix combined with the organisations’ own business and technological expertise. Fast-growth companies across all sectors are generating much of their value from the insights and services arising from artificial intelligence. The Digital Catapult aims to help large and small organisations work together, share data and best practices, find insights and build new products and services. This is a chance to help many companies accelerate, as well as leading on cutting-edge innovation projects with partners across the commercial and academic world.
- Researching and developing algorithms for information extraction from documents
- Work closely with product management/leadership teams to design new product features
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of training data
- Provide data analysis to satisfy internal and client needs, owning every step from initial discovery and scoping, to presenting results to management.
- Own the day to day technical solution implementation for Data projects
- Establish and maintain standards for data structure, usage and modelling
- Attend customer & partner meetings to ascertain the customer needs and understand the problem to be solved Translate high-level requests, problems, and goals into specific analysis action plans
- Continually evaluate and stay up to date with Data Science developments
- Share your expertise in writing and events/conferences presentations
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in the preparation of collaborative funding proposals across the EU and UK and the subsequent delivery of funded collaborative R&D projects
- Support the engineering team in the deployment of the solutions; evaluate technology solutions for current and future projects
MENTORING AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Participate in open innovation activities as an expert and mentor for startups and corporates, including detailed technical consulting at times
- Provide technical input to prospects and customers
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc, PhD or strong graduate qualification in Statistics, Applied Maths, Computer Science, Machine Learning or a related field
- Contributions to open source projects an advantage
- Deep understanding of Natural Language Processing techniques: Information extraction, topic modeling, relation extraction and statistical data analysis
- Up to date with recent developments in NLP; Experience (preferably python) with popular NLP and deep learning algorithms/libraries
- Strong breadth of demonstrable knowledge of statistical and machine learning approaches to a variety of prediction and classification problems, including experimental design, visualisation and presentation of results
- Demonstrable experience working with R, Python or similar language, comfortable with technologies such as git, AWS, NoSQL databases
- Desirable to have expertise with big data analytics tools such as Hadoop, Spark in large scale production environments
- Experience of communication of complex technology programmes to both specialist and more general audiences
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Initiative and self-confidence, adaptable and able to cope with ambiguity, changing and evolving priorities whilst being able to identify new opportunities.
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude
- Desire and ability to share ideas including mentoring and coaching
- Both team player and independent researcher